Monday, November 23, 2009

Down to the Wire Designs

UCU- What is your business and when did it form?

DTWD- My business is named Down to the Wire Designs and I make jewelry. The name comes from my early explorations in wirework back when I did not have access to most metalsmithing tools or a proper studio. I formed my business back in the mid 90's and have been selling in Seattle area boutiques and at selected craft shows and street fairs ever since.

I work with sterling silver, brass, titanium, 14 and 18k gold, mokume gane, and semi-precious stones. My work is heavily influenced by the look and textures of tribal jewelry without directly copying those styles. I like to include movement and sound in my work wherever I can. I love working in metal and continue to find wonder in it after all these years. It will never just be a job to me.

UCU- If you could have a super power what would it be?

DTWD- I am pretty content with the powers that I have. I have a great imagination and curiosity which drives my work and keeps it fresh. I rarely get bored doing what I do.

I have also been biking avidly since high school and have often said that riding a bike is the closest I will ever come to feeling super human. There is something about the freedom of movement and acceleration on a bike that is exhilarating to me and feels like flying. It is very satisfying to get where you are going by the power of your own legs.

UCU- Favorite holiday memory?

DTWD- My favorite holiday memory is a tie between going to my grandmother's house for Christmas with my family one year and going out into the woods with my parents to find a tree. The holidays are about family, so any meaningful moments that you can spend with your family are memorable.

UCU- Will you have a special $5 item for UCU's anniversary?

DTWD- My key anodized aluminum key rings will all be $5 each as well as my patterned metal bookmarks. Both are great items and make easy and fun stocking-stuffers.

UCU- Got any new items you will be showcasing at the show?

DTWD- I am going to try to have some new work ready for Urban Craft Uprising. This is my first time selling at the show and I would like to use the opportunity to unveil some new work-- fun things with moving parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment