Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Rachel Austin

UCU- What is your business and when did it form?

Rachel Austin
- I began painting what is now my ‘map series’ four years ago when I started collecting old, out dated maps. I wanted to create a series involving images of things that fly and layering paint and ink over these aerial map images. Birds, paper airplanes and clouds show up in most of my paintings. I took the plunge into becoming a full time artist three years ago and am loving it.

UCU- If you could have a super power what would it be?

RA - Flight, of course!

UCU- Favorite holiday memory?

RA- As kids, my brother and I would up really early in the morning to ‘quietly’ open stockings. We’d sneak into each others room and gleefully open candy and little packages. Stockings are still such a warm part of the holiday for me – I love making them for others and finding sweet little gifts to fill it.


UCU- Will you have a special $5 item for UCU's anniversary?

RA- I’m still working on that, but hope to have a $5 three pin set with some images of my paintings.


UCU- Got any new items you will be showcasing at the show?

RA- Yes, yes! I am so excited to show, for the first time, my new journal! The journal is published by Sasquatch Books out of Seattle and features my images on margins throughout the journal. Most pages are softly lined and I’ll be selling it for $12. The cover printed out fabulous – it wraps around to the back and picks up the texture of the painting wonderfully. I hope you like it!
I’ll also be showing my new papercut series – using layers of cut, white paper over vintage looking paper backgrounds. They are pretty cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment