Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dave Sheely Designs

UCU- What is your business and when did it form?

Dave Sheely Designs sells rings, earrings, pendants and bangles. I create all the designs and cast them in industrial grade urethane -- that's a fancy way of saying "plastic," but this is the kind of plastic that is used in industrial applications, so it's super-strong, resists scratching, and is pretty much indestructible. And the colors are rich and practically infinite.

I started out making my signature tiki heads way back in 1987 -- I carved the first few out of polymer clay. It took me ten years to start making molds from the tikis, and the rest is history.

My wife and I got married in 2004, and we decided to go with a tiki theme for the whole wedding. I made 180 tikis in about four weeks to give away as wedding favors. I was worried no one would want them, but it was really gratifying to see people actually try to sneak a color they liked better off an adjacent table.

UCU- If you could have a super power what would it be?

DS- Flight, but I'm afraid of heights without something to hold onto. So let's say flight, but with a banister in my hand.

UCU- Favorite holiday memory?

DS- I don't remember the exact year, but there was one Christmas where I came downstairs in the dark to find the tree lit and two lit-up light sabers propped next to it. That was awesome!

UCU- Will you have a special $5 item for UCU's anniversary?
DS- Sorry, not this year.

UCU- Got any new items you will be showcasing at the show?

DS- We are very excited to be showing new earring designs! They are large
discs that have an intricate design that really catches the light. They make an impact but are very thin and light, so easy on the ear. We will be selling them for $10 -- excellent gift price!

PS I'd like to make sure that it's mentioned that Valentina Vitols took the photos of my work. She is a local photographer by way of Venezuela and her work is fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment