Monday, June 29, 2009

Rock-N-Roidery

Interview with Nanette from Mud Flap Grrrl Designs- tattoo inspired hand embroidery!


UCU- How did you get started with your craft?

Nan-I have always sewn and drawn since I was a kid. I picked up embroidery (again, I found an old shirt I had done back when I was about 10) to keep my hands busy. I tried some of the patterns you could purchase but they weren't what I really was into and didn't really express my sense of humor and style. So after modifying a few of them I thought "I can draw better than that" and just started drawing up my own designs. My style is much more drawing with thread than fancy stitches. The words and the design are the most important thing. You definitely understand me when you see my work!










UCU- Are there specific ways you plan ahead for a show of this size?

Nan-I work my fingers to the bone. Hand embroidery is pretty small scale and time very consuming, so I have to work long hours to fill a both, even a small one. I make sure I have plenty of my steady sellers on hand but new items too. Not just for customers but so I don't get bored either!
I also have to take care of all the practical stuff, like making sure I have enough business cards ordered & how I will display everything.











UCU- Are there any new items we will see at this summer’s show?

Nan-Yes! I have a couple of new designs that I am very excited about. I also am now making purses! I am embroidering on the fronts and making the bags out of vinyl. I love them, but they are pretty labor intensive. I ventured into clothing at the xmas UCU for the first time and that was really successful, so I will have a lot more at the Summer show.













UCU- Any vendors you look forward to seeing?

Nan-I always love seeing my old friends like Thea Star & Ester Garcia but am looking forward to other crafty friends who are in the show this year for the first time like Kim Kaliber.









check out more Mud Flap Grrl Designs at her website

No comments:

Post a Comment