Thursday, November 12, 2009

Meet Lady Konnyaku

UCU- What is your business and when did it form?

LK- Back in 2005, I was a fresh out of UW with a degree in Chinese. I worked this desk job for a lame overseas megacorporation and fell into a deep sorrow. After some on-the-job daydreaming, I woke up and decided that if I could learn Chinese, then I could go back to school and learn how to sew... not an easy task for someone with no prior knowledge of the craft, I tell you! Four years have passed since my first day of school, and now I make high quality stylish clothing for women who love vintage fabrics, Mod styles, and Japanese street fashion. I encourage you to look for my label, Lady Konnyaku Clothing.



UCU- If you could have a super power what would it be?

LK- I would like to be 100% fluent in every language spoken on Earth. Traveling is my favorite thing, which I need to do more of, but I must say that it's really fun to talk to and party with people not in English.



UCU- Favorite holiday memory?

LK- My niece and I like to make gingerbread people every year. See, the dough is very brown because of the molasses and she could tell you that it has the same color as something else... Before we roll out the dough, we form this "something else" into a giant log and take pictures with it every year. Holiday poo swirl!

UCU- Will you have a special $5 item for UCU's anniversary?

I sure will! A new batch of quilted star pins are in the works... a lot of my vintage fabric is way too cool to scrap, so I make them into these weird stars that you can simply pin on and use to embellish your hats, coats, bags, eco-totes or whatever!



UCU- Got any new items you will be showcasing at the show?

LK- I have a number of new pencil skirts that I am really excited about, as well as a continuation of my "Hard Like Times" collection of modestly priced clothing items. There is also this rumor going around that I will begin selling a small number of handmade unisex t-shirts. There may be a small grain of truth to that, I guess you'll just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment