Thursday, July 1, 2010

This Charming Candy Interview



Feeling glum that the Sun is hiding today? I cheered up when I read this thoughtful response from vendor This Charming Candy. Read on and put some sugar in your step today. Meet This Charming Candy in their own words:

We are Kate and Susan, the founders of This Charming Candy, and we love watching people smile when they taste our handmade lollipops. Maybe it’s because our flavors are a little more sophisticated than what’s available from mass-production candy makers. Maybe it’s the way lollipops recall a more playful time in our lives.

All we know is that we’re on a mission to bring a little charm to your day in the form of sugar-on-a-stick, and it seems to be working Kate and Susan have been friends for over 10 years and have so much in common it’s scary. We’ve both been mathematicians, librarians, and have escaped fromcorporate life in big high-technology companies before deciding to go into business together. We both love to cook, so it’s no surprise to our families and friends that we’d choose to do something culinary.

But really, we swear we aren’t the same person.

Briefly describe how you got started doing what you do?

Susan: I made my first lollipops as part of a science project, believe it or not. I loved watching the syrup boil, learning how to handle it, playing around with pretty food coloring and coming up with new ways to combine familiar flavors. I started bringing lollipops to gatherings with friends around New Years 2009. Soon I was totally hooked on making lollipops. All the positive reinforcement from my sugar-loving friends sure didn't hurt either.

Kate: I came on board shortly thereafter, running from my latest experience in a big technology company. I spent a lot of time eating the lollipops that Susan was making, being fascinated with watching Susan make lollipops, enjoying eating the lollipops, and wanting to do what I could to make sure everyone I knew did too.


What sets your company apart from others who offer similar products?

We emphasize unique flavors and curating those flavors into themed collections. Our Spice Rack collection is the most popular, with Salted Caramel, Tangerine-Clove, and Vanilla-Cardamom lollipops. Even though most of our flavors are aimed at adults, the beautiful and fun Celebration Time collection -- Root Beer Float, Bubble Gum, and Birthday Cake -- is popular with all ages.

See you Ladies in all your sweetness in July!

4 comments:

  1. Yummy! I am looking forward to this one! But not to the tax :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! looking forward to trying one out! I haven't had a classic lollipop in ages :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an ambitious, sweet idea. Love the flavors and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only my favorite lollipops in the entire world! :) Looking forward to restocking...

    ReplyDelete